OS X PowerPC browser assessment


I meant to write this well over a month ago, but it never happened somehow. Thanks to a regular commenter here named 'dr.dave', I was reminded of this when I asked for OS X content ideas a few days ago. My interest is not only to write what I have to say, but also to write about subjects that the readers are interested in. Browsers are easily the most utilized internet tool in the world, so this is a worthy topic.

Since most browsers are based on core technologies like Mozilla or Webkit and such, it would be best to categorize them like this. My logic behind this is that even a layperson on the internet often has a preference. I myself tend to always gravitate to Mozilla based browsers like Camino and TenFour/Aurora/FireFox.

To truly evaluate a group of anything you need to be objective so my Mozilla preference is out the window for this post. I will look at each in an overall type manner by combining an evaluation of the features and technologies at hand. Although the browser selection on PowerPC is more limited in 2012, there is still a small but loyal developer base working hard. People like Cameron Kaiser, RPMozley and a few others are working hard and have been for a long time. Dr. Kaiser alone is directly responsible for TenFourFox and Classilla.

On to the browsers... If you know of a good one that I don’t mention, or has just started development, please let me know and I will add it. The point is to cover all options whether we consider them all good or not. I would only leave out the ones that have possible security concerns. Other than Safari, I will only be covering browsers that are still developed. Safari is the exception because it's built in. There are a few like Sunrise, Stainless and Shiira that some may feel are worthy of mention, but they are all no longer developed. An undeveloped browser is a security risk, because there is no one battling to keep the code healthy and safe.



Mozilla options


TenFourFox (10.4/10.5):

This is Cameron Kaiser’s main project and the one everyone knows best usually. It supports both 10.4 and 10.5 which makes it more portable. I would call it the most capable and bug free Mozilla option for OS X PowerPC.

It’s not quite so efficient on 10.5, but AuroraFox addresses most of those issues. The bug free aspect of it is particularly beneficial with extensions. I have yet to find one that doesn’t work perfectly. The same cannot be said for Aurora or SeaMonkey. This is the best modern Mozilla option by far for Tiger users

Download


AuroraFox (10.5):

This is the Aurora based sibling of TenFourFox. It borrows from both the TenFourFox code and the official FireFox’s Leopard optimizations to create a better experience for 10.5 users. As I mention above TFF is a little more compatible with all the add-ons I have used but Aurora performs a good deal better on 10.5.

Download


SeaMonkey (10.5):

SM is a decent contender.  Other than adblock, none of my extensions from Aurora work.

The thing some may really like is that it’s a very complete internet usage tool with a built in mail client, composer and address book. I have never attempted using the mail client so I cannot speak for how good it is. If you don’t use a lot of extensions anyway, and just want a lightweight but modern Mozilla then this is the perfect browser for you.

Download


Camino (10.4/10.5):

I have used Camino as my main browser since about 2001. It has great built in features like adblocking, flash blocking, limiting animated images to only play once (big help with CPU use), and is the all round most efficient browser on the Mac. Period.

The downside to Camino is that it uses older Mozilla tech to keep it’s efficiency. It’s based on FireFox 3.6 and there are some sites it won’t work too well with. Media Fire and Mac Update are the two main ones I can think of that it doesn’t play nice with. Another knock against it is that with the pre 4.0 version it’s based on there is no HTML5 support.

Although Camino’s technology is a bit dated, it’s still a perfect browser for standard sites that are not full of a bunch of fluff code. I use Camino, SeaMonkey and Aurora in combination for all my Mozilla needs. Each has it’s own strengths so they compliment each other well. I highly recommend the CPU optimized versions which include G3, G4, G4+ and G5.

Download


Classilla (8.6/9) (up to 10.4 via Classic):

I have no direct experience with this at all but my faith in Dr. Kaiser is strong enough to still recommend it. I also know a few people who praise it and I trust their opinion.

This project is proof that with the right developer and motivation, anything is possible. Not only does it bring modern secure browsing to the pre-X users but it also helps performance by using mostly mobile versions of sites. This is also great if you like that retro Netscape look from the 90’s.

Download



Webkit options


Safari 4 (10.4) 5 (10.5):

When you consider that Safari 4 supports HTML5 and is 4+ years old it’s quite impressive. Version 5 added extension capability in a somewhat similar fashion to FireFox. In terms of Apple Safari it is stuck at 5.06 forever on PowerPC now since development stopped leading up to 5.1.


Leopard Webkit:

This is my personal choice when it comes to Webkit on OS X.  It’s built on the open source of slightly more modern Webkit tech but based around Safari 5.06. In my experiences it’s about 20% faster than the Apple version and uses a good deal less CPU during idle moments.

The development team has been experimenting with options like replacing the standard Safari with this with an install option. I have not tried this myself because I prefer to keep both around for comparison testing.

Download



TenFourKit (10.4):

Other than running this once on my Stormtrooper I have no experience with it but have heard good things from people I trust. It's based on Webkit and apparently also includes some TenFourFox code from what I understand. It's creation fills the Safari 5 gap on 10.4.

The real advantage to open source code like Webkit or Mozilla is that anyone with the will and ability can get the code and make their own version to suit whatever computing environment they choose. Webkit has even made it’s way into the Linux and BSD world now.

Download


Roccat (10.5):

This is another option I have little experience with but it is very fast and I have heard good things about it. From what I understand it’s geared to using social networking sites but it works fine all round. I am very very impressed with the sheer speed of it and how lightweight it is. I am running it with 5 tabs open as I write this and it’s only using 53 MB RAM.

It's really f@#$ing fast. You have to try it and see for yourself.

Download




Others


Omniweb (10.4/10.5):

Omni is a very unique and customizable browser. The biggest standout feature is page specific preferences. I have been using it on and off for a good 3-4 years and love it. It has OS X optimizations like OpenGL and Quartz built in, along with some of the Safari engine.

If you want to browse the web in a more customized to your every whim type of way, then this is the one for you. Keep in mind that this requires a lot of effort in setup to tune it so that every site performs the way you prefer.

Download



Closing comments

This will be a growing dynamic post, which I will add to as things come up or people point out currently developed projects not covered here. Please feel free to also let me know of important details I may not have mentioned about some of the options covered.

Considering it’s now about 6.5 years since Apple made a PowerPC system the selection is pretty damn good. Variety is the spice of technology. We don’t have a Chrome option but I could care less to be honest. I use Chrome now and then on my girlfriend’s MacBook if she already has it open but I often choose to open FireFox instead. We really are not missing out on much and it’s all thanks to these great developers that still care enough about this amazing architecture.

13 comments:

  1. Tobias Netzel does TenFourKit, though there is some TenFourFox code in it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Verified and changed. Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  2. My main browser in my PowerMac G4 is demeter (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25489/demeter)
    Although not very stable it is very fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to say it was based on Shiira browser
    http://sourceforge.jp/projects/shiira/

    Fast option too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither of those are developed any longer which is why they were left out. It's been at least 2 years or more since both were updated. Same with Sunrise and Stainless.

      A browser that is no longer developed is just waiting to be exploited. Safari was the only dead browser I covered because it's built into the OS.

      Delete
  4. Recent news is that Stainless is going open source. See https://twitter.com/mesadynamics (the message posted on september 28). This could be a good opportunity to keep this browser on PowerPC. At the moment they are searching for developers.
    One thing to add about Leopard Webkit is that it has received a few extremely useful enhancements. Full screen option for the HTML5 player, improved stability with animated GIFs (and if you right click on a large GIF and select Image Frame Caching you will also get improved animation speed), processor optimized builds, and if I remember correctly even accelerated HTML5. Tobias Netzel is doing a great job, but he needs help with the new javascript interpreter. It would be useful to spread the word so that experienced developers can join the project.
    Another thing about Stainless and Leopard Webkit. Stainless can use LW as its engine simply by enabling "Load frameworks from WebKit nightly build" in Preferences -> Advanced.

    One last thing. You should probably add iCab to your list. It has been updated recently, and it is a very good browser. I really like its content filtering system. Not only you can enable site-specific preferences (great to load the mobile version of a webpage) and block content as you please, you can also use it to inject javascript code (I think even greasemonkey scripts) and CSS stylesheets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with iCab is that it uses system WebKit, so you need to combine it with one of Tobias's updated frameworks or it's no more secure than Safari.

      Delete
  5. someone really needs to port luakit to Mac OS X. I now use this almost exclusively on my ibook G4 1.07 in Lubuntu and its as fast as Chrome on my wife's 2010 Macbook. It renders web pages perfectly as you would expect, and is suprisingly easy to use once you master a few basico keystrokes and commands. Even has tabs, and you can use Firefox and Chrome bookmarks apparently, but I haven't bothered with that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer TenFourFox over Camino because of NoScript. Awhile ago someone made a NoScript extension for Camino, but it was compiled as Intel-only. And it was closed source.

    TenFourFox feels slower and heavier than the others when first started up, but with NoScript it's been my steadiest performer over the long haul. Kinda like a truck. A big ole truck that keeps on truckin'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been using SeaMonkey for a couple of weeks and I feel it fast and reliable. I'm not that interested on extensions so I couldn't say if it's good or not. But...I do notice the same old flash issues. I'd like to stick on SeaMonkey as a like it and I'd really appreciate if you could please recommend me the best flash version for this browser running on a G4 1.33GHz 1.25Gb Leopard. 10.1.102.64 is my installed flash version.

    Thanks in advance and keep this project going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The thing with Leopard-Webkit is that if you install it, it breaks some other applications, like MacTubes, and more importantly Software Update. Just using it normally, though, works fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Which option would you say is the safest to go online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very very late reply, but for anyone who may be forced somehow to use OS X PowerPC for all their browsing in 2015, use TenFourFox (latest) and NoScript. Also, be sure to disable Java system wide by opening Java Preferences in Utilities.

      Delete